FoodCorps is a nationwide team of AmeriCorps leaders who connect kids to real food and help them grow up healthy.
Through our partnership with AmeriCorps, we recruit, train and place emerging leaders into limited-resource schools for a year of service implementing our three-ingredient recipe for healthy kids.
Our service members provide:
Knowledge: food and nutrition education that gives kids the information they need to make smart choices
Engagement: hands-on activities like gardening and cooking that foster skills and pride around healthy food
Access: lunch trays filled with nutritious meals from local farms
“Thousands of young Americans have dedicated themselves to reforming the food chain, from field to table, and of all the programs that have emerged to channel that energy and idealism, FoodCorps is the most inspiring.”
Together with communities, FoodCorps serves to connect kids to healthy food in school.
We are creating a future in which all our nation’s children––regardless of class, race, or geography––know what healthy food is, care where it comes from, and eat it every day. Through our work, future generations will grow up to lead healthier and more productive lives.
- We believe big things are possible. We are committed to building a solution that matches the vast scale of the problem, and to approaching and evaluating our work with a rigor that makes our ambitious vision a reality.
- We believe everyone should be welcome at the table. Ensuring that all our nation’s children have the chance to eat healthy food requires us to embrace working across individual, cultural and political differences.
- We believe leaders fuel change. We invest in people who model practical and humble leadership, give them exceptional training and experiences, and connect them to each other, cultivating social capital at every level.
- We believe healthy food has healthy roots. So the food we serve is truly nourishing, we strive for it to be good for the people who grow, harvest, prepare and eat it, and for the lands and waters where it is produced.
- We believe in trying new things. We celebrate curiosity and innovation, and seek to improve, adapt and evolve our approach in order to hone our program, strengthen our impact, and build a better FoodCorps.
- We believe it takes a more just organization to create a more just world. To achieve our mission, we must foster diversity and set patterns of equity in both our end goal and the road we take to get there.
Watch this video that explains FoodCorps' approach!