Who We’re Looking For
To be considered for a FoodCorps service member position, you must:
- Be 18 years or older by the start of service (August 1, 2018)
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States
- Hold a high school diploma, GED or equivalent
The Qualities We’re Looking For
- Experiences working with groups of kids, gardening/farming, leadership/community building
- Commitment to public service
- Connection to and/or knowledge of the community you want to serve
- Understanding of our mission and scope (school food, farm-to-school, race & class in the food system)
- Potential to benefit from FoodCorps
Make Your Application Stand Out
- Demonstrate knowledge about the community you want to serve in, or at least a community very similar to it.
- Show your personality! We are looking for people with compelling personal stories, not cookie-cutter candidates.
- Tell a story about a specific pivotal moment or experience that inspired you to pursue this path in your personal statement.
- Upload a video or other supplemental file that expresses your passion for and connection to our mission and what it means to you—be creative! (Or a good, personalized letter of recommendation.) Please note: You are welcome to include links as supplemental files. Just insert the link to your video, writing, or other content in a document that you upload.
- Connect with a FoodCorps fellow before applying in order to learn more about what service is like in your state or community. FoodCorps fellows are alums of the program who help manage the program in each state. Because they have served with FoodCorps and are now supporting other service members on the ground, they have great insight into the service experience and how it varies from site to site. You can find contact information for our fellows at the top of each state page.